The Pier Reconstruction Project has now begun as of June 10th, 2018. The first phase was completed by PACIFIC Industrial & Marine, with the pavilion being supported by eight new steel pilings. These will last for the foreseeable future and keep the pier stable as we move towards the next phase. Phase two will consist of supporting the remainder of the pier with additional pilings, relieving the current ageing structure. Our work is not done yet, we still need donations. By donating to the project fund, you will help preserve maritime heritage in Cowichan Bay.
- The BC Ministry of Forests Lands & Natural Resources, Cowichan Estuary Restoration and Conservation Association, and the Cowichan Estuary Environmental Management Committee have established environmental protocols for piling replacement.
- Steel pilings, which are safer for the environment, will replace the creosote pilings.
- The Pier promotes the area’s maritime heritage and is an important tourist attraction.
- The structure hosts many Cowichan area celebrations, meetings, maritime recreation and educational presentations for groups or individuals including North America’s first “Cittaslow” community and the Cowichan Valley Dragon Divas dragon boat team.
- In 2015, the Cowichan Valley Regional District added the Cowichan Bay Maritime Centre's pier to its heritage registry.
PACIFIC Industrial & Marine Ltd. specializes in all aspects of Marine and Bridge Construction serving Vancouver Island and the coast of British Columbia with expert quality manufacturing and service. Our facilities include a CWB Certified to CSA Standard W47.1 in Division 2 Steel Fabrication shop, a Pre-Cast yard and CWB Certified to CSA Standard W47.2 in Division 2 Aluminum Fabrication shop.
PACIFIC Industrial & Marine Ltd. is located at the head of Cowichan Bay on the east coast of Vancouver Island.
For more information, please visit their website, www.pacificindustrialmarine.ca.