PIER RESTORATION PROJECT
The Cowichan Bay Maritime Centre has begun a major Pier Restoration Project - please check back frequrently for updates.
- The BC Ministry of Forests Lands & Natural Resources, Cowichan Estuary Restoration and Conservation Association, and the Cowichan Estuary Environmental Management Committee established environmental protocols for piling replacement
- Steel pilings, which are safer for the environment, will replace the creosote pilings.
- The Pier promotes the area’s maritime heritage and is an important tourist attraction.
- The structure hosts many Cowichan area celebrations, meetings, maritime recreation and educational presentations for groups or individuals including North America’s first “Cittaslow” community, and the Cowichan Valley Dragon Divas dragon boat team.
- In 2015, the Cowichan Valley Regional District added the Cowichan Bay Maritime Centre pier to its heritage registry.